The Port Angeles Mill has been in continuous operations for 95 years with a history of providing paper with excellent printability and runnability.
The Port Angeles Mill was constructed in 1920 with one paper machine. By 1927, the mill had three paper machines and produced nearly 120,000 tons of newsprint each year. The mill continued in this configuration until the 1960s when PM No.1 was shut down and the other two machines were converted to directory paper. Today, the mill continues to supply paper to telephone directory publishers, but now also produces a comprehensive line of specialty and industrial papers.
In 1992, a plant for recycling old newspapers and old telephone directories was added to the mill. This allowed the mill to add post consumer recycle fiber to our paper. The paper mill produces 100,000 tons of light-weight paper annually with up to 50% recycled fiber.
In 2015, the Mill upgraded the plant with the installation of a new pulper and improvements to the cleaning and screening systems.
Making and Maintaining our Reputation
The Port Angeles Mill has earned a superior reputation with our customers for excellent runnability and superior end use performance. The customer service department is recognized by customers as excellent with quick and timely information delivered with a personal touch.
Throughout the history of the mill, significant capital dollars have been invested in upgrades and process improvements to ensure the mill remains competitive in all areas including quality, cost, efficiency, environmental and regulatory mandates.
In addition to equipment and process improvements, the mill has focused on environmental stewardship. We offer Chain of Custody Fiber Certification (FSC & PEFC) as well as ISO-14001 Certification. We have focused on reduction of our Green House Gases, Carbon Footprint and Energy use.
The Port Angeles Mill is a major employer in the Port Angeles area with a work force that is highly skilled and averages more than 25 years of experience. The mill operates under a collective bargaining agreement with AWPPW Local 155, with the current contract extending into 2019.
In 1988, Daishowa Paper of Japan purchased the mill from James River. In 2003, Daishowa merged with Nippon Paper Group to become one of the largest pulp and paper producing companies in Japan. The mill is operated today by Nippon Paper Industries USA.