Nippon Paper Industries USA is a significant member of the business community in Port Angeles with a very significant impact on the local community. Some of these impacts include:
- NPI USA purchases more than $10 million of electricity and water from the City of Port Angeles annually.
- In purchasing these utilities, NPI USA paid more than $500,000 in utility taxes to the City of Port Angeles in 2015.
- NPI USA paid the State of Washington $400,000 in Utility taxes and $200,000 in Business & Occupation taxes in 2015.
- NPI USA paid $261,000 in property taxes to the City of Port Angeles in 2015.
- NPI USA owns the power lines feeding the mill and pays 100% of the maintenance costs on those power lines. NPI USA also pays 100% of the maintenance costs on the industrial water line.
- About 170 full-time personnel are directly employed by NPI USA with very good family wages and benefits that help support the local economy. Annual payroll including benefits is $20MM.
- NPI USA spends approximately $62MM annually. The majority of these purchases are with Clallam County Companies. The employees of these companies also enjoy family wages and benefits as a result.
- The $62MM of Annual Spends translates to $248MM in economical value to the local area using the Washington Input Output model.